Friday, June 28, 2013

Susannah Moreland...Mitch's wife; Crue's mom.

So, I know this post will seem completely random since I have not blogged since Crue was four months old. Yes, that was in November! Life happens and changes so quickly and it seems as though I literally do not have time to sit with a computer. I thought I would be able to blog from my iPhone, because hey, that should be quick and easy, right? Not! Or at least not for me.
A lot has happened and changed since my last post. My sweet, precious, handsome baby boy will be a one year old in less than a month. He has five adorable teeth, a head full of blonde hair, and big baby blue eyes that hit straight into this mommy's soul. I am planning his first birthday party, and I am ashamed to admit I still haven't gotten out all of the Thank You's from baby gifts! Behind much?
Mitch is having a great season so far and has been healthy for the most part. He has been on the go as usual and Crue and I try to make a trip home to Birmingham and a trip with daddy once a month. So, basically I am telling you that all three of us live out of our suitcases.
I will be honest when I say I thought being a "stay-at-home" mommy would be a piece of cake and that I would have a ton of time on my hands. Wrong. I am so busy chasing this fast crawler, doing laundry, washing bottles, and trying to spend time with Mitch, that by the end of the day, there is very little "me" time. So for those out there who think I have time to waste away and hit the gym, routine mani and pedi's, and travel the U.S., that's not really my life.
The reason my mind jumped to this blog post today, is for that simple reason. Who exactly am I? I used to be Susannah Higgins, successful contestant in the Miss Alabama program, second grade teacher at Oak Mountain Elementary School, fiance'/wife to Texas Rangers first baseman, Mitch Moreland. I had "my" identity. I hit the gym when I wanted, tanned and enjoyed a pool when I wanted, loved spending time in my classroom, shopped when I wanted, was in pictures instead of behind the camera, and showered in peace and quiet.
This morning, I was well on my way to enjoy a Pure Barre class in Southlake, TX. I got up with Crue, who has been under the weather, made myself a cup of coffee, played in the floor with him, and made Mitch breakfast and coffee in bed. Did I make it to PB? Negative. Was I upset? Absolutely. Did Mitch and I have a little tiff? Yes. Which let to the title of this post.
I was actually upset that I couldn't enjoy PB this morning. I even made the comment that I just "needed me time and need to do something for myself, by myself." When Mitch asked why I was so upset, I said it was because I felt like I was losing my identity. His response was this; "You are my wife, and Crue's mom. Is that not enough?"
After a shower, in peace, with no baby banging on the door trying to just get to his mommy, it all hit me. I don't want the peace and quiet of this shower. I want my sweet boy trying to get to me. I want to have to rush this, because it is ok to just be Crue's mom. I want my husband asking me to do a million things for him before he has to leave to go to the field, because it is ok to just be Mitch's wife.
I realized this morning that I am not losing who Susannah Higgins was. I may never have the body I had while I was competing in Miss Alabama, and I may never hear the laughter coming from my own classroom, and I may be behind the camera unless we have family pictures made.  But there is something that I have gained that I never want to lose; being known as Mitch's wife and Crue's mommy.



I am Susannah Moreland. Mitch's wife. Crue's mommy.


3 comments:

James, Heather, Evan, Emie and Pete said...

Susannah,
I have learned, through a lot of prayer and soul searching, that I have not lost "Heather Talley" in becoming a wife and mommy, but I have gained so much more than I even deserve. My identity is what I make of it. It is ME! It is nice to hear you embracing the fact that you are a wife and mommy before anything else...sometimes (most of the time) that does mean there is no peace-even in the bathroom! ha! Congrats on the identity addition!! :) Enjoy these moments as they are fleeting before your eyes!

Sunny Jones said...

Just saw this and SO needed to be reminded. I didn't know you blogged until today, but happy I cam across it. I told Joey the other day that I felt that I'd lost myself. I know who I am in my mind, but the mirror doesnt show her anymore. It's scary/depressing sometimes, but then I look at Shep and I realize that HE is the reflection I should be proudest of.

You're a good mommy :)

Iris said...

Hi, Susannah! I used to be Iris Lee and after 58 years of marriage to the sweetheart I met when I was only 14, I have many more names.....Charley's wife, MOM to 4 wonderful sons, Mother-in-law(friend) to 2 amazing daughters-by-love, Grandmother to 15 grands & 3 great-grands with another on the way. HOwever, more importantly than all of these blessings I'm DAUGHTER OF THE KING! btw, you don't know this but I have two adopted grandsons...Mitch & Craig Gentry because I LOVE THE RANGERS!!!
BLESSINGS on your life as a Godly wife & mommy--the best calling on earth!!

Post a Comment



I married my best friend and precious husband, Mitch, November 13, 2011. Just three short weeks later we were suprised to find out that we would be welcoming our first baby in August! Crue was born on July 25, 2012 and has completely melted our hearts!

We live a very different lifestyle that is based around baseball and traveling. Mitch has been blessed to be a part of the Texas Rangers and is their first baseman. I miss my husband when he is gone, but our time is so precious when he is home! Together we share a love for a cup of coffee in the mornings, good steak dinner, hunting, movies, and first and foremost, Jesus.

Mitch is definitely my better half and keeps me grounded in realizing the more important things in life. He would definitely rather spend his time outdoors. If we ever had to "Live off the Land," we would be okay! I, on the other hand, love to shop! I love all things SWANK and Restoration Hardware!

This blog was designed to capture the memories we will cherish forever and to help our friends and family keep up with our lives!


Moments With The Morelands

 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved